Pure Appl. Chem., 2006, Vol. 78, No. 10, pp. 1897-1970
CHEMICAL NOMENCLATURE AND STRUCTURE REPRESENTATION DIVISION
Graphical representation of stereochemical configuration (IUPAC Recommendations 2006)
- Know your audience: Diagrams that have a wide audience should be drawn as simply as possible.
- Avoid ambiguous drawing styles.
- Avoid the use of perspective diagrams and class-specific drawing styles (Fischer projections, Haworth projections, etc.) when structures are to be interpreted by computers.
- Use solid wedges to indicate bonds that project above the plane of the paper and hashed wedges to indicate bonds that project below the plane of the paper; in both cases, the bonds must be oriented with the narrow end at the stereogenic center.
- Avoid connecting stereogenic centers with a stereobond.
chemical structure diagrams; chemical structures; chirality; configuration; graphical representation; IUPAC Chemical Nomenclature and Structure Representation Division; nanodevices; recommendations; stereochemical; stereochemistry.